As mentioned in a previous entry, I’m looking to learn J2ME for programming mobile ‘phone apps. In order to connect to my Sony Ericsson K300i, I originally bought a DCU-11 cable to connect to the ‘phone over USB (although I’ve since bought an infra-red connector instead).
It worked find to start with, allowing me access to the ‘phone’s file system to download pics and videos. I could also run the Device Explorer (via the Connection Proxy) that comes with the J2ME SDK, in order to install, run and debug my MIDlets. But it didn’t last long: for some reason, at some point (I’m not sure when, I updated several bits of software over several days) it stopped allowing me to connect with the Device Explorer. I could do the file transfer OK, but I couldn’t connect to the ‘phone for testing my code any more. I kept getting errors like this:
“Device Explorer detected a hanging connection proxy and closed it. Restart by refreshing device information.”
and it seemed like nothing I did would get around it. I tried everything I could think of — reboots, shutting down processes, using different COM ports…and I couldn’t find any useful references to the problem out there in Internet-land.
Anyway, I discovered what appears to be a simple and reliable (if rather inconvenient) fix entirely by chance — restart the ‘phone. All along I was assuming it was a problem with the PC end of things, but it seems like it is in fact the ‘phone that’s causing the trouble: switch it off and back on again, and it works.
*sigh* I wasted several evenings on that.